When you come or come back to France, your new employer will be paying contributions for you to the Assurance maladie. The Caisse primaire d’Assurance maladie (CPAM) of your place of residence will then open your rights starting from the end of your first month of work, if you have worked at least 60 hours.

If you are a French employee coming back to France, you will find more information at this link: coming back to France

If you come to France to work from abroad, you will find more information at this link:

Coming (back) to France


Several community rules encourage the free circulation of workers inside the European Union (EU) by coordinating social security systems of different countries in the Union, in the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein) and in Switzerland. The coordination requires from every State that they take into account the durations of insurance, contributions and residence of the concerned individual, within the other member States of the EU, so as to be able to open immediately his or her rights to Assurance maladie when he comes or come back to France.

The future resident will have to get from the CFE (Caisse des Français à l’Etranger) one or several forms to prove their eligibility to this service. These certificates of entitlement can vary depending on the nature of the move, the protected risk, and the civil status of the concerned individual.

European impatriates also keep their right to health insurance. More information is available on the government’s website. (in French only)

Transfer of permanent residence

The S1 form is delivered abroad by the competent institution regarding social security or, in some cases, by the Fund debtor of the pension. It allows the insured individual and/or the members of his/her family living in a member State which is not the competent State to sign up to the health insurance institution in charge on the place of residence. They will then be entitled to services from the maternity health insurance.


As of January 1st, 2016, any employer from the private sector, company and association, is required to offer a collective complementary health insurance cover for all employees (except those you already have one), in addition to the basic health insurance garanties of the Social Security.

The company can freely choose the health insurance provider with which it will determine the insurance contract.

The cover of the assignees (children or spouse) of the employee is not compulsory, but the employer (or the social partners) can decide to cover them too.

An employee having several employers and already benefiting from a collective contract can refuse to subscribe to another. He/she will then be required to prove his/her protection to the other employers with a yearly subscription certificate.